When your love of flying steers you towards an aviation career, Southern Wings can help you take the leap.
Southern Wings Commercial Pilot Licence course has been an essential part of the career path of many of New Zealand’s most respected professional aviators. They cite access to large areas of uncontrolled and controlled airspace, along with the huge variety of spectacular terrain and a challenging weather environment, as the factors that led them to choose Southern Wings.
A Commercial Pilot Licence for an aeroplane will allow you to fly passengers or freight. This licence is the minimum requirement for getting a job as a pilot. To begin this course, you must hold a valid Private Pilots Licence.
Commercial Pilot Licence NZ – Course Content
A minimum of 200 hours of total flight time. Included in this flight time will be:
- Intensive cross-country training and advanced handling techniques
- Basic mountain flying
- 30 hours of cross-country navigation, and
- 10 hours of instrument flight
- Aviation law and publications
- Principles of flight
- Aircraft technical knowledge
- Human factors
To commence training for a CPL you must :
- Hold a Private Pilot Licence
- Hold a Class 1 Aviation Medical Certificate. (This is a requirement for any CPL or Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL). The wearing of corrective lenses is acceptable for this Medical Certificate.)
To qualify for a CPL you must :
- Be at least 18 years old
- Gain a minimum of 200 hours of total flight time fixed wing
- Pass the six theory subjects that are part of the course curriculum, and
- Pass a cross country navigation flight test
- Pass a practical flight test at the conclusion of your training