Our Commitment To The Code Of Practice

cadet-and-instructorSouthern Wings has agreed to observe and be bound by the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021.  Copies of the Code are available on request from Southern Wings or from the NZQA website at https://www2.nzqa.govt.nz/assets/Tertiary/The-Code/pastoral-care-code-of-practice-2021-english.pdf


Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at immigration.govt.nz

Eligibility For Health Services

Most international learners are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand.  If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment.  Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website at health.govt.nz

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you still may be liable for all other medical related costs.  Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at acc.co.nz

Medical And Travel Insurance

International learners must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance whilst studying in New Zealand.

Summary of the Code



When learners from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important that those learners are well informed, safe and properly cared for.  New Zealand educational providers have an important responsibility for international learners welfare.  The following provides an overview of the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 (the Code) and provides a procedure that students can follow if they have concerns about their treatment by a New Zealand educational provider or agent of a provider.

What Is The Code?

The Code is a document that provides a framework for service delivery by educational providers and their agents to international learners.  The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that are expected of educational providers with respect to international learners.  The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only and not to academic standards.

Who Does The Code Apply To?

The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with international learners enrolled.  The Code is mandatory to these providers and must be signed by them.

What Is An “International Learner”?

An “international learner” is a foreign student studying in New Zealand.

How Can I Get A Copy Of  The Code?

You can request a copy of the Code from Southern Wings or it is available online from


How Do I Know If An Education Provider Has Signed The Code?

The New Zealand Ministry of Education maintains a register of all signatories to the Code.  This is available online fromwww.minedu.govt.nz/goto/international If the education provider that you are seeking to enroll with is not a signatory to the Code, you will not be granted a permit from New Zealand Immigration Service and you will not be able to study at that institution.

Code Self-Review

Code of Practice Self Review 2023


What Do I Do If Something Goes Wrong?

If you have any concerns about your treatment by your education provider or by an agent of he provider, the first thing you must do is contact the chief pilot, the international learner director, or another person who has been identified to you as someone that you can approach about complaints at your institution.  The Code requires all institutions to have a fair and equitable internal grievance procedures for students and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further.  If your concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedure, you can contact the NZQA.

Making a complaint to the NZQA

If your education provider has not resolved your complaint, and you still wish to have it resolved, then you can contact NZQA. NZQA is a government organisation. They can provide an independent assessment of your complaint.

How Can I Contact The NZQA?

Download the Complaints form; http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/assets/About-us/Complaints-Form.pdf

Send your completed complaints form along with supporting evidence to;

The Complaints Officer
Quality Assurance Division
P.O. Box 160
Wellington 6140

e-mail a scan of your completed form and supporting evidence to

If you need more information on the complaints process, contact NZQA on 0800 697 296